Friday, November 2, 2007

Adorning one's head with beauty

I wanted to make myself something special, because tomorrow my mother-in-law and I are going to see Barbara Randle at a nearby sewing shop. She has made beautiful handbags, many other wonderful things, and written two books 'Crazy Quilting with Attitude' & 'More Crazy Quilting with Attitude'. She is a lovely person and a wonderful teacher, and her eye for color is Divine! I met her a little over two years ago at a similar lecture and enjoyed it so much that I have been anticipating her next stop in our neck of the woods. So I thought I could make a headband in hand dyed fabrics and other pretty things to celebrate ;0)



I used a little less then a fat quarter of my orange crush fabric (it was a fq I snipped a piece off of for some other project). Cut a 6" x 18" strip and fused med weight stabilizer to the back. Took it to the sewing machine and went crazy. Used lots of different threads and stitches. When I got it to the way crazy looking stage I stopped.




Cut out the top of the headband from this embellished fabric and cut out a plain piece of fabric for the under side of the headband. Pinned them right sides together and stitched on each side, leaving the ends open. (the quilter in me used 1/4" seam allowances) Turned it right side out and pressed. Then folded the raw edges in on the ends (this is where I would slide in the elastic).



Cut a piece of 1/2" elastic about 4 1/2" long. I made casing for my elastic from a 1 3/4" x 8" strip of fabric. Threaded the elastic through, pinned into the folded open ends of the headband and tested the fit. Then sewed (is that a word? I guess here in the south it is) the elastic in and opening shut (at the same time).



Then add some 'purty' things I found.

Ok, here's a tutorial for ya. Its in jpg form and should print out at 8.5" x 11"., but who knows how it will print.The pattern piece should be 8 1/4" long
*so please check it out before using it*
Check the elastic, everyone's head is different. Or have fun and draft out you own headband.




A good woman is worth, if she were sold, the fairest crown that's made of purest gold - Alexandre Dumas Père

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails