Monday, September 1, 2008

The Jenny Bag



A great little purse with a unique shape, tutorial from Lola... again (Jana Nielson) with a down loadable PDF pattern.


The purse is small, but has a cute shape. I enlarged the pattern to make it a slight bit larger (more below). One outside pocket and roomie inside even for its size. My purse measures about 15" wide x 7" tall x 4" deep, with a strap drop of 11" (from the top of the handles to the top of the purse when worn on the shoulder, or how do you measure a strap drop?).

It has a unusual shape that looks cute and carefree, but polished at the same time.

The tutorial is wonderful! Pictures explain each step in detail. Even the tricky part on the bottom of the bag was made easy by her tutorial.

I love the shape and size. Its not a big bag, but holds everything I need for the day at work. It has a wider bottom than the opening, so the bag has an illusion that is would not hold much. I have a small note pad and pen (for sewing ideas on the go), compact/makeup, wallet, cell phone, tissues, pack of gum and chapstick in my purse and could fit a bit more. I love how she came up with the pattern draft to create the unique shape!! I have no dislikes at all.

I used Amy Butler's Belle fabrics love the wild colors and neat prints, fusible fleece in the body of the bag, heavy fusible interfacing in the handles, and magnetic snaps (one in the pocket and one in the bag opening).

When printing out the pattern it looked a bit small for me so I thought why not make it bigger. I work in an office where we have a copier (thanks to my boss) I was able to enlarge the pattern. I enlarged it by 29% (129% size ratio on the copier), I used 29% only because that was one of the default settings. I Changed the size of the outsize pocket just a bit bigger and did not stitch in the center of the pocket, wanted this to be my cell phone pocket.

I will sew this again. I have some black and white fabric (similar to this) that I will over dye with purple to make a fall purse. I recommend this pattern because of the great tutorial with pictures.
Cute style and the best part it's FREE!!

2 comments:

  1. this is a very pretty bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous bag! Could you please send me the pattern pdf for the Jenny Bag?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails