Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Pink and Green Nomad


Pattern Description:
Hot Patterns Nomad Hobo Handbag
Free pattern from Fabric dot com 

Lined Hobo has a square base, a seamed front & back and wide cut-on handles. Hobo is open at the top with an optional magnetic closure, and features optional phone and zippered interior pockets.

Pattern Sizing:
One size, but depending how you print it out you can change the size.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Well, kinda, but different because of the fabrics.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, but there was a problem with the placement of the magnetic closure. If you do it as the instructions say it would be located on the sides of the straps. I changed this and placed the snap on the other sides.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like the slouchy, casual hobo look to it. And it holds a lot of stuff! The placement of the magnetic snap in my opinion should be on the open sides not the strap sides.

Fabric Used:
Cotton fabric for the outside and a silky poly print for the inside all from JoAnn’s fabrics.


Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
When I printed the pattern I changed my printer preferences to print it at 90% of the original. This made it a tiny bit smaller than the original size, but it still is a large bag and holds so much. For the outside of the bag I sewed fabric strips in a quilt braid design. Like this Quilters Cache Braid. I traced the pattern onto cotton muslin and then marked placement for the fabric strips. Sewed the strips and when finished I trimmed to the pattern size.

Then like a quilt - I used a muslin backing layered with cotton batting and then the pattern piece on top. I hand quilted each piece with cotton pearl in pink. For the straps I did not cut and quilt as the rest of the outside, I made handles that I inserted when the outside and inside were stitched together.


After all the pieces were quilted I then assembled the outside as the instructions. I sewed the inside as the instructions except for the zipper pocket. I did the zipper pocket as I always do like this toot at Handbag-U.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, thinking of gray suede for this fall.
I would say its an easy sew, and fun.

Conclusion:
Cute, casual and fun. Pay close attention to the magnetic snap placement.
Make it fun or funky depending on the fabric choice.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kira,

    I'm thinking that I'll make these for my daughters for Christmas. If I start now maybe they'll be ready. Beautiful fabrics ! Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails