Monday, March 16, 2009

Early birthday present for me

I finally did it, I subscribed to Burda World of Fashion magazine. It's around $80.00, and with the economy the way it is that's a lot of money. BUT for the price of a years worth of patterns, you just can't beat it.

If your not familiar with Burda, it's a magazine that is published out of Germany. They publish the magazine in English, Dutch, Spanish, Italian and Russian. In each magazine you will find plenty of patterns to keep you busy. The patterns come in five different sizes and sometimes they include plus, men and children's patterns. You have to trace and add seam allowances and the instructions are sometimes a little vague but if you have a handy sewing reference book around it's not a big deal.

When we lived in Italy I would buy them at the Coop (a large grocery store) every month. I loved using the patterns and learning the Italian language at the same time. I also purchased some when we lived in Holland, and at a rummel markt (Dutch for flea market) I scored some vintage 1970 Burda issues.


When sewing with Burda patterns I noticed right away that they draft the patterns differently than the Big-4 (McCalls, Butterick, Vogue and Simplicity). The major difference is the Burda is drafted for a C cup as the Big-4 drafts for a B cup. I love the Burda pants patterns, the drafting of the crotch curve seems to fit me better than most of the Big-4 pants. Now don't get me wrong I like the Big-4 patterns too and have had some success with them as well. I just love getting a magazine in the mail full of inspirations and patterns to add to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails