Many of our guild members had quilts in the show last weekend at the
I even submitted the quilt 'Cosmos'
I was asked four things from my experience of having a quilt in a show -
what were my fears, why did I enter, what did I expect and what was the reality of it all in the end.
Since it's so hard for me to translate my emotions into words I did a word game - you know, make a list using one word answers to describe your feelings in each category Using the topics 'fear', 'why', 'expectations' and 'reality', I came up with these answers answers.
- opinions- I am scare of others opinions of me, and the quilt only shows one side of who I am
- judgement- if the quilt is a failure and a horrible example of quilting
- criticism- what if no one likes it or worse what if they hate the quilt
- negativity- could my quilt put a negative spin on the modern quilting movement
- experience- to have the experience of actually having a quilt in a show
- group- if not for the ECMQG I would have never had the confidence to show a quilt
- share- spread the word about modern quilting and the wonderful community of quilters
- voice- to have a voice or show what I can do
- represent- again to show how wonderful the world of modern quilting is by being an example
- feedback- to get feedback from the judges
- skills- learn what skills I need to work on and what skills I have accomplished
- learn- from this and be a better quilter and share with others what I have learned
- interest- to build interest in ECMQG and modern quilting
- good- none of the fears I had became fact, I was silly to even think them!
- pride- in oneself and as a quilter, and with our quilting community
- community- our diverse quilting community is open and welcoming, not at all judgmental
- interest- we received lots of interest in the guild and modern quilting
- accomplishment- a general sense of accomplishment that I plowed through my fears and came out in the end just a little be better!
So if you've been afraid to take the plunge and enter a quilt in a show, I say DO IT!
You won't be disappointed!!
|Cindy's Wonky Stars|
There were even more great quilts from our guild - but my computer is not cooperating with me today. Our wonderful members- Cindy, Marcy, Wendi, Kelly, Melanie, Leslie and all the members that made a block for the Modern BOM Charity quilt (who didn't even realize they had their works in the show) you did a wonderful job!!!!!
For more pictures and to see all the quilts in the show click here
|a wonderful experience|