Monday, April 7, 2014

Fresh Flowers - Introduction and Fabric Requirements



Welcome to my very first quilt along!! I am super excited at the response the Fresh Flowers quilt along has received! I am overwhelmed by how sweet everyone's comments have been, thank you!

Fresh Flowers was inspired by the beautiful spring blossoms we are seeing during this time of the year. The blocks are simple and easy to construct. They are the perfect project for beginners and first time quilters. The finished block size is 12" x 12", using rotary cutting and traditional piecing methods.

In my quilt and the examples I am using Kona Snow as the background, but any solid fabric would work just as well. With fabrics like Kona, Bella solids and other dyed fabrics, both sides of the fabric are right sides. Unlike printed fabrics, there is no way to mistakenly cut angles wrong. This is one of the many reasons I love dyed or yarn dyed solids. However you may choose to use a printed fabric for your background (which has a right and wrong side), and I will be adding optional cutting instructions for that as well.

In my quilt and the examples I am using Hothouse Flowers by Mo Bedell for Andover fabrics for the petals and centers. When choosing your petal fabrics decide if you want a planned or a scrappy look to your quilt. You can use a layer cake (10" by 10" squares) for a more planned look to your quilt or pull from your stash for a scrappy look - this is up to you!

 Our 3 layout options are:




Wall Quilt or Large Pillow
Finished size: 24" x 24"
1/2 yard of solid background fabric 
5 - 10" squares for petals and centers



Baby Quilt
Finished Size: 48" x 48" 
1 3/4 yards of solid background fabric
17 - 10" squares for petals and centers




Lap/Throw Quilt
Finished Size: 60"x 72"
2 3/4 yards of solid background fabric
31 - 10" squares for petal and centers


Fresh Flowers Quilt Along


The next post is April 21st with the cutting instructions, that gives us two weeks to pull from our stash or gather fabrics. Looking forward to seeing what fabrics everyone is going to use. I have added a link up party below if you would like to share your fabric choices.


If you have any questions please ask away!!

Hugs and many thanks,
Kira

Add your link to your fabrics here:





    

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for hosting this quilt-along. I found your blog this a.m. via QuilterBlogs.com!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking I wouldn't be able to join - you know me and how I SAY I will do something, but then my follow through doesn't happen - but, with a mini, I might be able to. I am so happy for you and your newest endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so darn CUTE! I had an old Serenade layer cake, a bunch of Kona and even the backing. I'm READY!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails